How to filter out "unused" Address objects and Group objects if they are listed on an unused rule

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to filter out "unused" Address objects and Group objects if they are listed on an unused rule

L1 Bithead

When I used the "Unused" objects filter, it lists objects that are defined in rules and groups if there is no traffic, as well as objects that aren't used at all.

We have some rules that are not used very often, but are still required, so the rules are listed as "unused" only because there has been no traffic for 30 days.

Because of this, the filter lists way more "unused" objects than there really are.

Is there any way to filter the list so it only lists address objects and groups that are not attached to any rules?

Thanks

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L4 Transporter

Hi @ChrisC2 ,

I wanted to inform you that the default filter for unused objects is functioning as you expect. The filter is applied statically to the configuration, regardless of the number of hits per rule. As a result, if an object is marked as unused, it means that Expedition did not detect any usage in the loaded configuration (policies).

Please note that on the tools tab, you have the option to search for usages. If you select an object, you can see where it is being used.

If your Expedition is not functioning as described, please let me know, and I will request an export of your project to debug the issue.

For any further clarification, please contact fwmigrate@paloaltonetworks.com.

Thank you in advance,

David

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

L4 Transporter

Hi @ChrisC2 ,

I wanted to inform you that the default filter for unused objects is functioning as you expect. The filter is applied statically to the configuration, regardless of the number of hits per rule. As a result, if an object is marked as unused, it means that Expedition did not detect any usage in the loaded configuration (policies).

Please note that on the tools tab, you have the option to search for usages. If you select an object, you can see where it is being used.

If your Expedition is not functioning as described, please let me know, and I will request an export of your project to debug the issue.

For any further clarification, please contact fwmigrate@paloaltonetworks.com.

Thank you in advance,

David

Thank you for the quick reply.

Interesting, maybe I was reading something wrong.

I have 600 objects to check, and I will hopefully be going through some of them carefully tomorrow, so I'll let you know the outcome!

Thank you,  you were correct, I think a colleague was just getting confused.

It is working as I was expecting.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!