Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bootsrap Image Error

L2 Linker

Hi All

I am seeing the following in the system log of a PA-200 on reboot:

critical hw             bootstr 0  No bootstrap media detected

I can't find any reference to this message anywhere and indeed all the errors that can be ebcountered while bootstraapping are all severity high, rather than critical:

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/71/virtualization/virtualization/bootstrap-the-vm-ser...

I have never bootstrapped a device myself, so I don't know if that would have a lasting effect (like it will always check for bootstrap media and leave this message if it doesn't have any)?

There's nothing in the USB port, but the only other thing I can think is that the port is erroneously registering something being plugged in. I've not found any other log messages relating to this, just this one 4 times (each time its rebooted). 

Thanks in advance for any help, anyone can offer. 

Alex

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L2 Linker

Found some more info under /opt/panrepo/logs:

Error:  sda_bootloader_env_print(sda_bootloader_env.c:37): BOOTLOADER: Can't get full environment from /dev/mtd4

Error:  init(sda_bootstrap.c:182): BOOTSTRAP: System is not in management_ready mode, current mode firstboot, skipping load

DEBUG: /mnt/install_media: already exists

DEBUG: Looking of detected block devices

DEBUG: Device /sys/block/sda/device not USB:

ERROR: btsErrorNoMedia: No USB device found(2)

History.log showed the device appeared to have been bootstrapped previously, perhaps without being factory reset:

First step of https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/71/pan-os/pan-os/firewall-administration/bootstrap-a-...

Think this is solved. Hopefully these messages will le tothers find this. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

L2 Linker

Found some more info under /opt/panrepo/logs:

Error:  sda_bootloader_env_print(sda_bootloader_env.c:37): BOOTLOADER: Can't get full environment from /dev/mtd4

Error:  init(sda_bootstrap.c:182): BOOTSTRAP: System is not in management_ready mode, current mode firstboot, skipping load

DEBUG: /mnt/install_media: already exists

DEBUG: Looking of detected block devices

DEBUG: Device /sys/block/sda/device not USB:

ERROR: btsErrorNoMedia: No USB device found(2)

History.log showed the device appeared to have been bootstrapped previously, perhaps without being factory reset:

First step of https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/71/pan-os/pan-os/firewall-administration/bootstrap-a-...

Think this is solved. Hopefully these messages will le tothers find this. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 101 Subscriptions
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!