Can you have an interface with an SFP in receive only mode?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you have an interface with an SFP in receive only mode?

L1 Bithead

I have a scenario where we have a data diode transmitting over fiber to an interface on our PA220R (sfp 100fx). The difficulty is that the PA considers the interface as 'down' because of the nature of the data diode, the diode only sends to the PA over this fiber but will not receive any data from the PA by design. Does anyone know a way to hard code the interface/sfp to be 'up/on' and receive the traffic coming over the fiber? 

5 REPLIES 5

L6 Presenter

@Greg.Herbert wrote:

I have a scenario where we have a data diode transmitting over fiber to an interface on our PA220R (sfp 100fx). The difficulty is that the PA considers the interface as 'down' because of the nature of the data diode, the diode only sends to the PA over this fiber but will not receive any data from the PA by design. Does anyone know a way to hard code the interface/sfp to be 'up/on' and receive the traffic coming over the fiber? 

I don't know of a way to force the interface up in Palo, but can you cheat it and connect the diode to a media converter and from the MC connect the PA220?  Or place a switch in-between the diode and the 220 (with the diode and 220 on the same VLAN?)

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @Greg.Herbert ,

Have you tried changing the Link State to up under the interface Advanced tab?

Thanks,

Tom

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

I've thought of this as a potential option, however I was hoping for a solution that doesn't require a change with the design authority if possible.

Yes, I have set that, however the PA keeps the interface as down and no traffic in recorded inbound. 

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Setting the interface to up disables auto-negotiation.  I thought that might be the issue.  The interface is down because of no link, not lack of traffic.  It looks like @Brandon_Wertz has the best solution.

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 101 Subscriptions
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!