Ansible beginner ping to PA firewall

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Ansible beginner ping to PA firewall

L1 Bithead

I am new to ansible and i am trying to do a simple ping test to a host that i want to test. I enter the command "ansible all -m ping" and got this error

10.2x.x.x | UNREACHABLE! => {
"changed": false,
"msg": "Failed to connect to the host via ssh: This system is for the use of authorized users only. Individuals\nusing this computer system without authority, or in excess of \ntheir authority, are subject to having all of their activities on this \nsystem monitored and recorded by system personnel. \n\nIn the course of monitoring individuals improperly using this \nsystem, or in the course of system maintenance, the activities of \nauthorized users may also be monitored. Anyone using this \nsystem expressly consents to such monitoring and is advised that \nif such monitoring reveals possible evidence of criminal activity, \nsystem personnel may provide the evidence of such monitoring to \nlaw enforcement officials.\nxxxg@10.x.x.x: Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).",
"unreachable": true
}

I also copied the ssh-key but it didnt work. What could be wrong? can you give me the steps what should i do after i enter the ip address on the hosts file? I know i need to do something with sshkey but i am not sure exactly what is needed. All i want to do is get the ping test done and i should be able to keep the ball rolling. 

1 REPLY 1

L5 Sessionator

I don't think that ping works on PAN-OS appliances because you don't connect to them using ssh, but the API.  I think a better test to verify connectivity is to run a playbook that uses panos_op, and you can use the example from the documentation:

https://ansible-pan.readthedocs.io/en/latest/modules/panos_op_module.html

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!