Custom App to allow Office 07/10 (docx/xlsx/etc) while blocking zip

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Custom App to allow Office 07/10 (docx/xlsx/etc) while blocking zip

L1 Bithead

Our current file blocking policy blocks zip files, however, users are getting blocked from downloading compressed Office documents.  Office 2007 and 2010 save files in the docx, pptx, xlsx type extensions.  They are technically zip files, since you can change the extension to .zip and it will open in a zip program.

The thought was to create a custom signature to allow these files, since the following seems to be persistent.

The file starts with: 50 4B 03 04 14 00 06 00 08 00 00 00 21 00

At offset 1E, it contains: 5B 43 6F 6E 74 65 6E 74 5F 54 79 70 65 73 5D 2E 78 6D 6C  (this is the description for the file name [Content_Types].xml, which appears in these types of files)

Is there a way to make this work?

Thanks,

Carlo

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L6 Presenter

I guess so, take a look at rkim's first reply in https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/thread/2898?tstart=0 for guidelines on how to submit app requests.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

L6 Presenter

I guess so, take a look at rkim's first reply in https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/thread/2898?tstart=0 for guidelines on how to submit app requests.

How do I create a custom application or data filtering profile for this?

L1 Bithead

If I could do a pattern match in the context of file-ZIP-body, that would help, but that doesn't seem to exist.

L4 Transporter

We have the same problem. I'm looking for ...

Do you know any solution?

:smileyconfused:

Regards,

hi,

feature request already open: FR ID:1829

please contact your SE to vote for it! I already did and we need more votes Smiley Wink

• 1 accepted solution
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!