Data Leak Protection, searching for passwords.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Data Leak Protection, searching for passwords.

L0 Member

Does anyone use data filtering for passwords discovery? Basically i want to know and stop if possible when someone logs into their external email service like Google Email and upload say a passwords.txt file full of usernames and passwords OR inputs in the body of the email usernames and passwords and sends it out. I also use Websense which is more mature in the DLP area and has built in password discovery RegeX formulas and such which works fairly well. I wanted to see if PANs have something similar or if someone has this setup and would like to share any RegEx formulas for password discovery?

2 REPLIES 2

L7 Applicator

As you have seen there are no built in features for this.  But if you are able to see the regex formulas from other sources these can be added to the DLP filter.

With web based email remember that most of these will be an ssl connection so you would need to decrypt the traffic in order to do the inspection.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

L6 Presenter

you can use decrypt mirror for ssl traffic but you have to use another dlp solution.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!