FEATURE REQUEST: Search applications by tcp/udp port number.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

FEATURE REQUEST: Search applications by tcp/udp port number.

L1 Bithead

I'm currently working on "migrating" a policy from a port-based firewall to an application aware firewall... The problem I keep running into is what application(s) are already part of the PANOS that use said port?

It would be AWESOME if I could search by port number and choose the application that most closely matches my traffic.

5 REPLIES 5

L4 Transporter

I strongly sense that someone from Palo Alto is going to swoop in on this thread, and suggest that you let your Sales Rep know about this feature request. That's the normal channel they try to push us toward for feature requests we have had in the past.

One of the things I really like about other vendors, is that I can open a feature request on their support site... another feature request?

Haha yea it's kind of annoying... I'll sign on your feature request for a "feature requests system" if you get one open Smiley Happy

L4 Transporter

The Application Objects browser on the WebUI as well as the Applipedia page on the Internet provide free text search including searching by port numbers.

I agree that the string searching provided a little info on the gateway itself... however the search results differ from Applipedia.  In either case, it would be nice to receive an explicit "no app on this port" if there is not an application currently configured that uses specifically that port.

As an example, searching for "5383" on a PANOS box returned a single application object, which has a range of ports that encompasses port 5383.  Applipedia returned no results for me...

I'm always worried about varying results where results should not vary, and don't like leaving anything to interpretation.

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!