Youtube Edu

Not applicable

Re: Youtube Edu

Dorris,

Are there any updates?  Our school district desperately needs the functionality.

-Mitch

L1 Bithead

Same here! and I know of another few school districts...

L0 Member

We are one of them.  Our current system allows:

1. Override via ldap group.
  2. User selectable override time.
  3. Google Safe Search
  4. YouTube for Schools
L2 Linker

Is there any update to this?  My education body is extremely interested in YoutubeEDU but Palo Alto do not seem to support this or offer any advice around this.

L1 Bithead

I second this request.  We are looking for a way to access YoutubEDU at this time and are not able to do so with the PAN at this time.  We are also struggling with the Google safesearch issue which could also be helped with URL rewrite...Anything??

L1 Bithead

We currently have multiple School Systems that we manage that are looking at other devices since Palo-Alto does not support this.

L4 Transporter

You mean the content re-write that takes users from Youtube.com to education.youtube.com?

We usually put this as it's own category and have the link on the block page as it is quite unique for school board.

Highlighted
L1 Bithead

Last I read was that PA was going to plan to release the URL rewrite as many of the EDU environments have put in a request for that function. But I've seen no news of this since last. If you search  for enforce safe search there are documents to do this for PANos 4.1 but it is not perfect. At this point I'm thinking of setting up an squid box to dod the rewrite. As there has been little interest from PA to do this. Yet there competitors can do it.. I love the firewall and its features but this has been a thorn in my side.

L4 Transporter

Hey, I think I'm pretty close to a solution but I'm running into a problem. What I did was put a specific rule for Youtube the application.  URL custom category for youtube.com to block.  Then I have an allow list which takes each tokent (you tube .com /&blah education). On the response page I have an automatic redirect which takes the <url /> Field and appends the education component to it.  The problem is it recursively redirects.

L3 Networker

I urge Palo Alto to address this as soon as possible.  I am the Network Admin for a private HS we could really use it.  We deployed laptops to freshmen and have NO books.  Our entire delivery system is through the device.  Teachers use Youtube extensivly but students abuse the privelage.  Currently I have to block Youtube for all stuidents and have teachers run the videos on the projector for in class and students access youtube from home openly.

Makes it hard for the journalism and broadcasting classes.

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!