Moving a Traps ESM

L4 Transporter

Moving a Traps ESM

Hi 

I currently have my traps server installed on a Windows 2008r2 server, I would like to move the services to a 2016 box, but I would rather not upgrade the box.

if I reinstall on the 2016 - is there a way to backup and then restore the config onto the new server ?

A

Tags (4)
L4 Transporter

Re: Moving a Traps ESM

Alex,

You will want to stand up your new 2016 server, and add it to your existing ESM environment (install at least Core, if not Console as well). Once you add it to the environment, you will see it on the multi ESM tab. Let this configuration stew for a week or two, and shut down the 08 box.

This will allow for all of your endpoint to check-in and learn about the new server.  The multi-ESM server list is passed to all endpoints on check in. When all of your endpoints know about the new server, turn the old one off (the 08 box).  Then remove it from the environment on the Mutli-esm tab. 

If you open a case or call into support they will be able to answer any questions and assist with the migration to the new server.

L4 Transporter

So

1) install ESM on the new server

2) add it on as a 2ESM -> this will propogate all the policies I have ?

3) leave it runing for a while

4) add a cname record of the old ESM to point to th new ESM and then turn off the old ESM

5) update the ESM config to remove the 2 ESM 

L4 Transporter

1) install ESM on the new server

correct

2) add it on as a 2ESM -> this will propogate all the policies I have ?

Yes, all of the policies are stored in the database.

3) leave it runing for a while

correct, this is to make sure machines that dont always run, or are off the wire during the change, have the ability to check in. Once you have a large majority of the env. moved to the new server (validating via agent monitoring, that they have checked in since the new core was added), you can feel confident turning off the old server, and removing from the ESM

4) add a cname record of the old ESM to point to th new ESM and then turn off the old ESM

Not needed unless DNS records control the path back to the core, the endpoint will see the new server and attempt to connect, when the 1st one no longer be present. Once the server is removed from the ESM, it will no longer publish it as a connection point to the agents on their next check in.

5) update the ESM config to remove the 2 ESM

You just need to remove it from the ESM console

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!