Traps database migration to another SQL server

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Traps database migration to another SQL server

L1 Bithead

Is that possible to migrate an existing database from one SQL server to another SQL server?

What will be the process?

8 REPLIES 8

L4 Transporter

Yes it is possible. Here is a step by step (assuming install was default options):

Database migration:

1. Stop all ESM services on CORE and CONSOLE:
  • msc
    • Endpoint Security Manager
    • ESM Console Upload Service
    • ESM Core Upload Service
    • World Wide Web Publishing Services
  1. Backup Database (Take note of Database owners, of Traps DB)
  2. Export Database
  3. Move Database
  4. Import Database
  5. Modify Hibernate file, for Core and Console:
    • Open Wordpad.exe as an Administrator
    • FileàOpen Hibernate.cfg.xml (You can choose to save a copy of this file to a secondary location for back, incase troubleshooting is needed)
      • Folderpath: (default locations)

Core: Program Files\Palo Alto Networks\Endpoint Security Manager\Server

Console:Program Files\Palo Alto Networks\Endpoint Security Manager\Web\bin

• Modify the entry “Data Source=” with the new server name and sql instance
  • Save file in its original location
  1. Validate that DB owners (identical to previous setup)
  2. Start Services:
    • msc:
      • Endpoint Security Manager
      • ESM Console Upload Service
      • ESM Core Upload Service

***If no errors starting services, Start WWW Publishing services***

1. Validate that Endpoint can check into ESM server.

Things to consider:

Every CORE and CONSOLE has its own Hibernate file, and must be updated.

Thanks efrancis for the reply.

What about the database backup and restore process? Just backup and restore it to the new server? Is the regular process enough, or there are some details to take into account?

From my experience, a Full backup was done on old SQL instance, moved to new, and restored. 

I have an issue with hibernate.cfg. We use 2 Traps servers; one in server vlan, one in DMZ. I moved the databases, configured a new connection to inside Traps server. My Traps server in DMZ connects through SQL account (and TrapsDB is on instance SERVERNAME\INSTANCE_NAME, listening on port 1433

firewall between Traps in DMZ and SQL server only allows port 1433.

I can connect through odbcad32, I tried all kinds of writing down SQL  destination, but I cant start ESM service (in eventvwr: error in hibernate.cfg

If you are having issues starting the services because of hiberante file, I would recommend to open a case with support, who can assist making sure the migration was done correctly. There can be a few reasons why the connection fails when trying to start the services.

L0 Member

Hello

We have done this procedure, the only thing missing is to verify the instances, to start the services thanks for the help

Regards

Hi,

Thank you!! We have done it in the version 4.2.4 and it works fine!

In our case the installation is with 2 cores and 1 console.

Hi.

Thank all of you for this topic. It is really valuable knowledge.

I have another question about MSSQL usage: did someone ever try to use AWS-based MS SQL (Amazon RDS for SQL Server) instead of on-prem MS SQL? My ESM is built as AWS EC2 instance and it would be highly desirable not to use the server-based DN.

So, anyone?

Best regards 🙂

Marcin

• 8 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!