Bad security policy problem with ASA migration

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Bad security policy problem with ASA migration

L0 Member

I am migrating an ASA 9.6(3)1 config to PA using Expedition v1.1.23, and the security rules are all messed up to an extent where I basically can't use Expedition at all. When running the same ASA config through the old Migration Tool v3.3.15 it all looks nice and tidy.

Also there's a huge difference in the number of policies - Expedition converts it to 568 security rules (which is wrong), while the old PAMT tools converts it to 283 security rules (which is correct).

I've attached the Expedition output (asa-expedition.png) as well as the old PA MT output (asa-pamt.png) below and you will see huge differences. Expedition gives many Outside to DMZ security rules with private addresses as destination - which clearly doesn't make sense. (All objects without the EXT- prefix have private IP addresses).

I think (and hope) is it a bug.

Expedition output

asa-expedition.png

Old PAMT output

asa-pamt.png

1 REPLY 1

L5 Sessionator

can you share the ASA config by emailing to fwmigrate at paloaltonetworks.com? There were changes in the migration behavior in the Expedition ASA parser which breaks out certain policies (that uses address groups) that results in the additional policy count. I can verify that is the result you are seeing in your migration.

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!