Convert Local Security Policies to Panorama Policies

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Convert Local Security Policies to Panorama Policies

L1 Bithead

We have quite a few Palo Altos that we inherited that have many local policies. We would like to manage these policies via Panorama. Is it possible to convert Local Security Policies to Panorama Policies using Expedition? If so is there a guide on how to do that?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

"because the device serial #'s stick in the Panorama firewall rules." - in what, the targets of the rules? Yeesh, that sounds like a bad situation.

I think what I would do, honestly, is go get the "set" commands from the local firewalls that consitute their firewall policies, and then do some clever find/replace, and put those rules into Panorama as Pre-Rules via Panorama's CLI. You'd have to do things like set device groups, etc in the text you would paste into Panorama's cli, etc. Without seeing it in total, its hard to say, but on the surface, that sounds like the direction I would go.

Don't get me wrong, there might be a case to use Expedtiion for this, but it sounds to me like something that would be easier to do with a little "manual" effort. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

L3 Networker

In such as situation, I would do an import of the local firewall config into Panorama via the function "Import device configuration to Panorama" , which will import the devices config into Panorama as a device group and template. Expedition doesn't really gain you anything that I am aware.

Tim Thank you for responding. The firewalls in question are already in Panorama and currently use a combination of Panorama pre/post rules as well as local rules. Are you saying that it is possible to import a firewall configuration into Panorama that is already in Panorama? We tried removing the firewalls from Panorama in order to then import them but ran into a situation where we cannot automatically remove any firewalls from Panorama because the device serial #'s stick in the Panorama firewall rules. We would then have to go to each rule and remove the firewalls serial individually and there are 1000's of rules and close to 50 firewalls.

"because the device serial #'s stick in the Panorama firewall rules." - in what, the targets of the rules? Yeesh, that sounds like a bad situation.

I think what I would do, honestly, is go get the "set" commands from the local firewalls that consitute their firewall policies, and then do some clever find/replace, and put those rules into Panorama as Pre-Rules via Panorama's CLI. You'd have to do things like set device groups, etc in the text you would paste into Panorama's cli, etc. Without seeing it in total, its hard to say, but on the surface, that sounds like the direction I would go.

Don't get me wrong, there might be a case to use Expedtiion for this, but it sounds to me like something that would be easier to do with a little "manual" effort. 

Thank you Tim for your advice. I agree with you that this may be best to attack from the CLI and possibly using the "load config partial" commands. Looking at the policies on one of my 5000 units I see close to 700 local policies and am wondering how the address objects will play a role in the load config partial functionality. I appreciate your help again.

Hi,

Go to the firewall panorama setting and disable device group and template settings. When you doing that it will popup window to tick import panorama objects and policies. Enable that tick and commit then all the panorama objects and policies will be available on the local firewall. After get a backup from firewall and import it to the panorama and do the force commit ( When importing config to panorama it will create default name for the device group and template you can change it ).

Please see the attached screenshot.

Thanks.Panorama Settings.PNG

• 1 accepted solution
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!