Using Expedition over a VPN connection

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Using Expedition over a VPN connection

L0 Member

I am trying to get Expedition to work over a VPN connection. I have VMware Workstation 12 player installed on my laptop and have Expedition installed and upgraded to 1.0.94. I connect with Cisco VPN client but when I try to launch the expedition program it will not load until I disconnect the VPN session. If I disconnect from the VPN session Expedition will load and run fine except, of course, I cannot access any of the PAN devices since I must be VPN'd in to get access to them.

My question is: How do I get the VMware workstation virtual NIC (ens33) to tie to the VPN interface connection. It seems like the vNIC is tying to the physical NIC and I cannot get it to tie to the VPN interface. I tried changing the IP address on the vNIC (ens33) to an IP address on the DHCP segment that is issued when I connect to the VPN and added a default route but had no success with that. Has anyone successfully been able to connect and run Expedition over a VPN or is it only workable when direct connected to the LAN? Is there a method to set the VMware Workstation Player connection to tie to the VPN interface?

When I am setting directly on the LAN I have no problems running Expedition when it uses the physical NIC on my laptop. I can also run it without issues when I disconnect the VPN and am setting directly on my private LAN.

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

L2 Linker
It is not possible to run Expedition or any VM and associate it with VPN connection that is running on the host device. That is because Cisco Anyconnect will not let multiple machines on through the same connection. You would have to run VPN from within the VM to actually accomplish that. That would be your best course of action. I have researched this extensively.

View solution in original post

Thanks very much. I appreaciate the help and advise.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

L2 Linker
It is not possible to run Expedition or any VM and associate it with VPN connection that is running on the host device. That is because Cisco Anyconnect will not let multiple machines on through the same connection. You would have to run VPN from within the VM to actually accomplish that. That would be your best course of action. I have researched this extensively.

Thanks very much. I appreaciate the help and advise.

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!