VM package selection

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

VM package selection

L1 Bithead

Hi,

on last Wednesday a PA consultant tried to help or migration to Panorama with the help of Expedition, but it didn't work at all (lots of remote exceptions). The version from today sees to work much better. At least the dashboard displays withput errors and I can change the default password 🙂

Might I suggest adding "linux-virtual" and removing "linux generic" (in this order)? This removes cruft which is not needed on a VM:  amd64-microcode{u} crda{u} intel-microcode{u} iucode-tool{u} iw{u} libnl-3-200{u} libnl-genl-3-200{u}
linux-firmware{u} linux-generic{p} linux-image-extra-4.4.0-127-generic{u} linux-image-generic{u} wireless-regdb{u}

Note: We run the VM on ESXi not VMware Workstation.

I also noticed that both timesyncd and VMware-Tools time syncronitztation are enabled.

2 REPLIES 2

L7 Applicator

Hi, feel free to change what you need from the OS. We are not responsibles of the OS, just the Applicaiton itself. Thanks for the advise they are always welcome !

Yes, of course. I always install Ubuntu servers as "minimal virtual machine". Pro: no cruft, Con: you need to add a lot of packages (inlcuding openssh-server) to get a usable system. I prefer not to have unneeded packages to avoid unneccessary updates. Just MHO 🙂

Looking forward to using Expedition.

• 2 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!