A Summer Question: Craziest Next-Generation Firewall deployment?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

A Summer Question: Craziest Next-Generation Firewall deployment?

L4 Transporter

You've all been there, right? It's now time to have some fun sharing... Where is the craziest place you’ve had to deploy a Next-Generation Firewall (NGFW)? And – does that bring to mind any NGFW deployment tip to share?

7 REPLIES 7

L3 Networker

Tip: Don't expose the parts to chlorine.

Location: Installed an evaluation for a coal export terminal customer one day in the middle of nowhere. Customer enabled SPAN/TAP on their old 3750 and brought the entire port system down. 

Tip: Don't enable SPAN/TAP on old Cisco 3750 switches. Use VWire instead, and the result will still be amazing and the customer will gain the required visibility.

L2 Linker

Location: Small branch Offices with CISCOs ASA, migrate to PA-2XX series  

Tip: I dind't use the migration tool for cisco FWs, I created a new configuration or Panorama templates/device configuration stacks, is by far better and faster than migrating all kind of rules, good if you have a lot of objects and subnets. Palo Alto firewall makes implementation way easier. 

L2 Linker

Flew from Los Angeles, CA to an Underground Parking Garage in Auckland, NZ

Maybe not crazy, but defintiely the nicest, Hyde Park in London.

L2 Linker

I didn't get to go but I had to deploy the firewall in London.  Got a call at 3am in the morning and started configuring.  It was a good time.  

Todd

Retired Member
Not applicable

Thanks for all your responses. We loved reading them, globetrotting with you, and sharing a few good laughs along the way. We've compiled all your answers here, Craziest firewall deployment, so that others may enjoy your travels and tips and be inspired...or at least amused. 🙂  Thanks again!

• 7 replies
  • 2 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!