Active/Active ECMP

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

Re: Active/Active ECMP

I think we are just making recomendations based on lessons learned the hard way.  For me, HSRP is never a preferred solution.  I will only used it if forced to by some crazy Layer 2 limitation being imposed on me.  You do you man!

Tags (2)
Highlighted
L3 Networker

I was just trying to understand the question of why do I think the standby node would receive traffic. 

L4 Transporter

Dynamic routing and HSRP "can" lead to a very bad day.

Here is some reading.  Old but relevant.  For me, HSRP = too much headache.  We need to move beyond these Layer 2 limitations.  We have the routing protocols, "we can rebuild him... we have the technology..."  HAHA!

http://ccie-in-3-months.blogspot.com/2008/11/solving-routing-asymmetry-due-to-hsrp.html

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
L3 Networker

Read it. Labbed it. It works. But "routing" doesn't solve LAN side requirements for hosts all the time. Not every corporation is running nexus as their core, not every corporation is stacking or using VSS. "Routing" doesnt solve a gateway problem. 

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!