Active/Active ECMP

L4 Transporter

Re: Active/Active ECMP

ECMP should still work as long as you remove HSRP regardless of router ID for "Equal Cost Paths" only.

L3 Networker

Not running active/active for increase performance because I know you get maybe 20% on that. I am using it because I have two active core switches and it becomes a load share game. Do ditch HSRP and use what for LAN side? thats the real challenge. 

L4 Transporter

MC-LAG?  Not sure the new 9500s support that.  Are you avoiding stacking them for any specific reason?

L3 Networker

Cat9500s not stacked, no VSS, no Nexus core running active/active HSRP. So doesnt qualify. 

L3 Networker

Now, I am fantasizing here, but I thought about running HSRP egress side to the palos and running palos with floating IP (essentially vrrp)....

L4 Transporter

Be aware, there are some pretty specific restrictions/caveats with floating IPs especially when it comes to NAT.  If you don't have asynchronous routing and you aren't utilizing ECMP, Active/Passive is the way to go.

L3 Networker

Avoid the stacking because in-service upgrades give me PTSD. No NAT because they are Core Firewalls. Would like to use ECMP but it seems to be a headache. And even with Active/Passive and HSRP there is still the issue that there is a 50 percent chance that the active firewall will send the return traffic to the standby HSRP node. 

L7 Applicator

@Stevenjwilliams83,

I'm lost on why you think you are going to hit the standby HSRP node? HSRP is going to give you an address that you can target as your next-hop address for routing. If you want to use HSRP, then you remove ECMP. If you want to use ECMP, then you remove HSRP. 

L4 Transporter

Yes, yes, and double yes.

Or you could stack your switches downstream from the 9500s and push Layer 3 out toward the access layer.  Then you would pretty much be using them as routers and you can ECMP all day long.

L3 Networker

How do you figure? If each palo is learning each HSRP group VLAN via a routing protocol and both core switches own an SVI for that vlan, network is now connected. So OSPF will see the same subnet for a single vlan on each core switch as connected and based on ecmp will have a 50/50 shot of sending it the right node. 

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!