Adding sub interface to existing interface

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Adding sub interface to existing interface

L0 Member

We are currently using our 3260 firewall to handle BGP to our MPLS router.
the connection is trunked through our core switch, Native 200, allowed 200 & 255 (mgt & bgp respectively)

Router 1:

G0/1 10.200.254.3 (mgt)

G0/1.255 10.255.255.129/30
Firewall:

E4 10.255.255.130/30 Untagged 

We are adding a second MPLS router for redundancy, 
Router 2: 
G0/0/1 10.200.254.2 (mgt)
G0/0/1.255 10.255.255.133/30 

Question 1: can a sub interface be added to an interface which already has an IP?  or would i need to change the current IP to be a sub as well?
Question 2: since both IP's are transiting the same vlan, can i leave the sub interface untagged? they're destined for the same AS which resides on the firewall, and the mpls router is untagged

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

I think the answer is YES to both questions.

You can have a sub interface with an IP interface.

You can configure the sub interface is not be tagged.

Steve

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions

L4 Transporter

@ClydeHarvey The Layer3 subintefaces need to be tagged. You can have IP address on the main interface, which will apply to untagged traffic and you can add multiple tagged subinterface to it, but you cannot have untagged L3 subinterface. 

This article may help:

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClRkCAK

@ClydeHarvey   As someone who has configured this as a work around for my IT team who was doing the tagging (and I did not need to do it), I am comfortable in my first response.

If you go to your first (main) interface, and modify the interface, go to the Advanced Tab and select "untagged subinterface"

This will allow you to keep your untagged main and sub-interfaces.

Has worked for me

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!