Additional network interfaces Dell R630

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Additional network interfaces Dell R630

L2 Linker

Hi all,

We are going to buy a Dell R630 for running Palo Alto VM100.

As this box has only a few standard broadcom interfaces on board, which NIC card would you recommend to more network ports.

4 Gigabit ethernet ports is sufficient in our case.

Some people claim that intel based NICs are not recommended?

Any advice is appreciated.

Kind Regards

Cobalt

10 REPLIES 10

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

The biggest question is what will you use the extra nics for? The default VM only has 3 interfaces with a total of 4, I think could be wrong in that version.

Regards,

We have a rather large setup behind the firewall, so we will be using multiple split virtual wires, therefore I would require 8 interfaces

Hello,

You wont get a full 8 since 1 has to be the Management interface. As forthe NIC card, I would use what ever the Hypervisor you plan on using will support. Also do you think a VM-100 is large enough capacity?

Regards,

For the time being it's enough, as I'm doing a PoC for the customers, not everything is behind the firewall yet.

But since the device already failed twice during the PoC, I currently look a bit like an idiot with a bad product.

Hence my question if there was any preferred/recommended hardware, but avoid any potential issues in that domain. 

I'm guessing cost is the reason for the VM rather than a hardware model?

Well cost is obviously always a reason, nevertheless a box is also a server in the end.

And after cycling through a few other brands, I can't say the hardware appliances are always that much more trustworthy 🙂 

I hear ya on the bad luck. However I have only had one PAN hardware fail on me in the past 8 years and that has been my lab PA-200. I would honeslty recomment like a PA-3220. Mainly because thats all it is and its a less complicated setup, e.g. no hypervisor or additional hardware. PAN's are pretty good especially their upper end models. Why not put them into A/P HA? THis way if one fails not everything goes down?

Certainly something to consider once I can convince the customers 🙂

I'm not going to make that investment without knowing it actually works. Since I have stacks of servers anyways, the VM was the quickest en most cost efficient solution.

You can always get the sales team to get you a 'try before you buy' model?

True that, nevertheless there should not be a reason why a VM wouldnt work 🙂

• 10 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!