Agentless User ID problems with IPv6

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Agentless User ID problems with IPv6

L1 Bithead

We are using an agentless user id system with four domain controllers. IPv4 and IPv6 is used inside and outside our organization. The PA box fails to identify users that run IPv6. Turning off IPv6 on the Windows clients fixes the problem. The problem is intermittent so it is hard to track down. Running 6.0.3 software.

4 REPLIES 4

L7 Applicator

Do you have ipv6 enabled and configured on the Palo Alto?

Have a look at the checklist for ipv6 usage here.

How to Check IPV6 Traffic Routing

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

I checked the 6 steps in the article you provided:

1 - make sure ipv6 is enabled - okay

2 - check ipv6 default route - okay

3 - ping via ipv6 from workstation to firewall internal interface, host name and IP address - okay

4 - ping via ipv6 from firewall external interface to external host - NOT OKAY

5 - ping via ipv6 from firewall internal interface to external host - okay

So this is weird, workstations have no trouble with ipv6, they can visit sites, ping sites and all that. The problem is, agentless user-id is inconsistent with ipv6 clients. Not sure why step 4 from above will not work.

The problem seems to be caused when a workstation has multiple ipv6 temp addresses. To test this I did this on my workstation: 

netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled

netsh interface ipv6 set privacy state=disabled

reboot

Now the PA box correctly identifies me

I will have to test this long term but so far it has worked for me

Thanks for posting the solution.  An obscure issue for sure.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!