Allow application from a blocked category

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Allow application from a blocked category

L2 Linker

Hello everyone,

I searched this topic before posting and couldn't find an exact answer so I'm asking the question here.

I have blocked a specific category that includes multiple appplications. I now need to allow one of those applications, but keep the category blocked as it is. Do I just create a new policy just about the blocked category policy and allow the application? If so, do I also need to allow the dependencies it warns me about?

Thank you for any advice that you can share.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

You need to create allow policy with this needed application (and dependencies) above block rule.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

You need to create allow policy with this needed application (and dependencies) above block rule.

Perfect! Thank you.

So, if the dependencies are "web-browsing" and "ssl" and I allow those in that policy...those allowances will not affect other policies already in place, right?

Without knowing your policies it is hard to tell.

Do you allow web-browsing and ssl already?

If yes then you don't need to allow them.

If you block general web-browsing and ssl then you might want to also create custom URL category and use this under "Service/URL category" tab to allow this traffic to specific URLs only.

Understood. 

I do allow web-browsing and ssl already. I was just wondering since the warnings come up when I commit if I don't add those dependencies to that allow rule. I assume I can just ignore those warnings?

Dependency check is not always perfect so yes you can ignore.

Or if you prefer to keep it clean add web-browsing and ssl in the rule so no warning.

You can compare if there is any difference between rule that allows web-browsing and new rule (different zones, source subnets etc). There must me reason why dependency warning comes up.

Got it. I'll check to verify the differences and move on from there. I appreciate the help.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!