Allow downloading from Akamai or other CDNs

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Allow downloading from Akamai or other CDNs

L3 Networker

PANOS 8.1

Hi all - I have ongoing issues with trying to control downloading of files from CDNs. An easy example is .cab files used by Microsoft Office templates. When you download a template it goes off to a page off: templatesmetadata.office.net, but the actual file is stored in an Akamai cache.

I have a policy matching a custom URL category, allowing that (I've also tried *.office.net), URL. This policy has no file blocking profile.

This does not seem to work. However, if I exclude *.office.net from decryption it works around the issue and allows the download.

I don't understand why it would match for the no-decrypt policy, but not the URL category policy.

What is the correct and manageable way to allow downloads from CDNs where the container URL is known and trusted?

Thanks,
Shannon

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Good Day

I am just thinking out loud here, yet if you created a policy that allowed outbound traffic and used the URL filtering as a security profile (instead of using your custom url category as a matching condition) you may have some better luck (I believe)

I typically use an application such as web-browsing and ssl in combination of a URL matching condition in my policies.

clipboard_image_0.png

Maybe, if you find out what the application that is being used, when accessing the Akami, you could give this a shot.

But I still believe the category should be used in your URL filtering profile, even if you need to create a custom rule/category/profile for your downloads.

Hope this makes sense to you.  😛

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions

Thanks Steve!

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!