Allowing Mapquest

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Allowing Mapquest

L0 Member

Greetings,

One of my departments is requesting access to Mapquest for their users. Currently they have limited Internet access. I have added *.mapquest.com/ and it brings up a very limited webpage (no links). So I did some searching and found that Mapquest also uses a hosting site called mqcdn so i added *.content.mcqdn.com/ in as well. I was able to pull up more content, however, not eveything is working as it should. Has anyone else run into this issue and/or know of a way to allow full access?

3 REPLIES 3

L3 Networker

I'm curious about this as well. I have run into similar issues where clients want to whitelist a specific set of websites and block everything else. The only work around I found (like you) was to inspect the HTML and allow those links too, which is a poor solution if the webpage is ever updated. I found no option to allow embedded content.

TAC recommended category filtering, but this did not meet the customers secuirty requirements.

L3 Networker

I experienced similar issues.  We have a group of users with access to only a few websites.  In order for them to display properly, I had to watch each one in the logs and also whitelist all the other linked sites like CDN URLs, etc.

It worked, but took time, but I got hit up for it a week later because there was a spot on the webiste I didn't go to that had another URL I needed to whitelist.

Terrible pain in the bum for sure.

Whish there was a more elegant way.

Dannon

L0 Member

Thanks for the responses! I "inherited" our Palo Alto's just four months ago (with no prior experince with them) and overall have been impressed with them. This is one area that I feel needs improving though.

Also on the topic of URL Category is it possible to use IP addresses and not actual URL's when filtering websites? When I monitor the traffic for a site such as Mapquest I see several IP addresses being blocked but the "Resolve Hostname" feature does not always work for every address.

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!