App-ID for Apple iOS Update

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

App-ID for Apple iOS Update

L1 Bithead

Hi All,

I'm preparing for tomorrow's iOS8 update.  Last year with iOS7, we got slammed on bandwidth.  This year now that we have the Palo Alto, I'm configuring QoS so that the iOS update doesn't eat all of our bandwidth.

Does anyone know what App-ID the iOS update service falls under?  There is an apple-update app-id, but it appears to be only for computers running MacOS.  Do I just set a blanket policy covering all Apple traffic just to be safe?

Thanks,

-Mike

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L6 Presenter

Hi Wocomike,

There is no single app-id name "apple" which covers all apple traffic.

Instead we have separate app-id for all apple services, please find the same.

Apple_Update.png

"apple-update" should cover all kind of updated from IOS including ipads. I would suggest you to try with one of the ipad to confirm the same.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

L6 Presenter

Hi Wocomike,

There is no single app-id name "apple" which covers all apple traffic.

Instead we have separate app-id for all apple services, please find the same.

Apple_Update.png

"apple-update" should cover all kind of updated from IOS including ipads. I would suggest you to try with one of the ipad to confirm the same.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Thanks Hardik,

It appears that this is true, as the Apple iOS updates come down via swcdn.apple.com, which is getting flagged as apple-update.  I've not been able to verify if these are Macs or iPads in the logs, but the domain name is the same for updates on both. 

-Mike

Hi Wocomike,

There is no app-id for ipad hence you can assume, "apple-update" covers ipad too.

Moreover, update servers are same. so you can stick to it.

Let me know if additional information required.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

L2 Linker

Also apple offers a caching server which you could consider for the future. We are using one. I am waiting to see the usage of PAN "apple-update" compared to the LAN traffic my caching server saw.

OS X Server - Caching Service - Apple Support

I agree with bwilliams2. Our Caching server is awesome.  I would def recommend this option to people who want to control this type of traffic. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!