Application Groups - how to transfer list of applications?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Application Groups - how to transfer list of applications?

L4 Transporter

Hello

I have two groups in Application Groups, every one has over 60 applications on lists.

I need to recreate the same settings on another PA device - how to do it?

Regards

Slawek

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

You can just paste it directly to the new one.

When you use the 'set cli config-output-format set' you can just paste the group in with the set format.

set application-group test_group [ app1 app2 app3 ]

As soon as you finish entering the command, you will see the group in the GUI.

Before I had Panorama, I had to copy large groups to several firewalls so I found a small formatting issue. Because you have 60 apps in the group, make sure that there aren't any incorrect spaces or line breaks in the list when you paste from your text editor. Sometimes with copy and paste, the application names get cut in the middle.

Below is an example of what can happen. Note how fasttrack is cut in the middle of the app name. The PA CLI parser will give an error if you try to paste this.  Just remove the space in the app name and it will be fine. With a group of 60, you might have 4 or 5 lines to fix.

set application-group Apps1 [ dl-free flashget qq-download vagaa xunlei zbigz 100bao allpeers ants-p2p applejuice ares axifile direct-connect emule fasttr
ack fileguri filemail

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

L6 Presenter

l think you can export running configuration and change/edit using notepad++. I don't really know if this is the quickest way but will work I believe

From what I've seen modifiying the configuration by exporting, altering, then importing and commiting is the quickesst/only way to actually achieve this. The process is fairly easy and shouldn't be all that complicated. That being said make sure that you move over anything in the config thats being referenced so it'll actually work. 

L3 Networker

You can just go into the cli of the source PA and copy the application group. Then paste it into the destination PA. 

I find this command helpful when using the cli

> set cli config-output-format set

Then when you show the config on the CLI, it's easier to read and copy. (It's easier for me to read at least)

# show | match application-group

Hello RFalconer

Using "show | match application-group" I listed both my groups. Thats OK

But how to import it to group test_group on new device?

Regards

Slawek

You can just paste it directly to the new one.

When you use the 'set cli config-output-format set' you can just paste the group in with the set format.

set application-group test_group [ app1 app2 app3 ]

As soon as you finish entering the command, you will see the group in the GUI.

Before I had Panorama, I had to copy large groups to several firewalls so I found a small formatting issue. Because you have 60 apps in the group, make sure that there aren't any incorrect spaces or line breaks in the list when you paste from your text editor. Sometimes with copy and paste, the application names get cut in the middle.

Below is an example of what can happen. Note how fasttrack is cut in the middle of the app name. The PA CLI parser will give an error if you try to paste this.  Just remove the space in the app name and it will be fine. With a group of 60, you might have 4 or 5 lines to fix.

set application-group Apps1 [ dl-free flashget qq-download vagaa xunlei zbigz 100bao allpeers ants-p2p applejuice ares axifile direct-connect emule fasttr
ack fileguri filemail

Just a quick one! Do you know what are these options: 

> set cli config-output-format
default default
json json
set set
xml xml

What is a difference between them? Cannot see any changed by changing them

Thx,

Myky

>set cli config-output-format set

>configure

#show

You have to go to configure mode.

And when you give command show there you see configuration in set commands.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

Hello RFalconer

Thanx for Your help - now is everything clear.

REgards

SLawek

• 1 accepted solution
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!