Application block page - not enabled by default

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Application block page - not enabled by default

L2 Linker

I've noticed in PAN OS 5.x that the application block page is not enabled by default. Obviously it can be manually enabled.. but was this done for a specific reason to address some common problems experienced by customers?

I could surmise that perhaps displaying the application block page might chew up limited sessions/resources on the PAN firewall as opposed to just issuing a RST by default? Perhaps compounded by the amount non-browser based applications which repeatedly try to connect out using http/https as their primary communication protocol..

Has anybody experienced specific problems when the application block page was enabled?

3 REPLIES 3

L3 Networker

Well, its hard to say why this was disabled as a default setting for a specific reason.

But as far as the block page chewing up the sessions is concerned that definitely would not be an issue with the blocked applications, as the block page does not need additional sessions than the main browsing session, the block page is just pushed with a response page packet in the same session stream, so its highly unlikely that this would be an issue even with the non browser based apps.

HTH

If I recall it correctly this has been around for many years.

That is you must read the manual and manually configure stuff before response pages will show up.

I dunno of the reason for this (other than forcing customers to read the manual :smileysilly:), perhaps your SE could return to you with a better explanation and if you get such please update this thread aswell Smiley Happy

Are we able to enable the application-blockpage for internal zones only to avoid the block-page for incoming untrusted/internet-sessions?

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!