Application ms-update on WSUS 6.2 and later

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Application ms-update on WSUS 6.2 and later

L1 Bithead

Why application ms-upate usage only port 80/443 when WSUS 6.2 an later usage port 8530/8531 (Step 3: Configure WSUS) ?

Robert Ogonowski

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Robert,

This services/port are already added with Application MS-SMS. So, you have to allow ms-sms application on the security profile in order to allow/identify WSUS 6.2 traffic.

Description: System Center Configuration Manager, formerly Systems Management Server (SMS), is a systems management software product by Microsoft for managing large groups of Windows-based computer systems. SMS provides remote control, patch management, software distribution, and hardware and software inventory.

MS-SMS.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

L7 Applicator

Hello Robert,

You should ask this to Microsoft Smiley Happy, they will guide you towards the right direction.

Thanks

Smiley Happy but Palo may add this port to application ms-update

Robert

Hello Robert,

This services/port are already added with Application MS-SMS. So, you have to allow ms-sms application on the security profile in order to allow/identify WSUS 6.2 traffic.

Description: System Center Configuration Manager, formerly Systems Management Server (SMS), is a systems management software product by Microsoft for managing large groups of Windows-based computer systems. SMS provides remote control, patch management, software distribution, and hardware and software inventory.

MS-SMS.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Thanks.

How did you find it ?

Robert

Hmmm, but palo probably wrong recognize. Log is: ms-update on port 8530

Robert

Hello Roberto,

For any existing application signature, you may look into this link ( search for existing application or port number): Application Research Center

Thanks

I did not know that you can browse the port Smiley Happy Thanks

Robert

It appears ports 8530 and 8531 have been removed again from app-id ms-sms as of 6/1/2018.

I contacted support and they confirmed this.  Unfortunately, they could not provide a reason why.  I ended up having to perform an application override for ms-sms to use ports 8530 and 8531 for my Windows Updates to work again. 

It was fixed in content version 8036.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!