Are the Services for URL filtering/Threat/Antivirus the same across all devices?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Are the Services for URL filtering/Threat/Antivirus the same across all devices?

L1 Bithead

I'm looking at replacing my older PA boxes and see many improvements in the physical capabilities of the newer devices. As I was looking at the full range, I was wondering if the services for each device is different.  Are the URL Filtering, Threat Prevention, and Antivirus services the same for each box? Are they different compared to the device I have now?

I know the throughput may different or the even the amount of data that can be scanned, but is the scanning service the same for each level of box that Palo Alto offers?

3 REPLIES 3

L7 Applicator

Hello Sir,

All services, i.e. URL filtering, Threat Prevention, Antivirus are the same across all the PAN firewalls.There is a common database available for all devices, if you go to the Palo Alto support site to download dynamic updates manually https://support.paloaltonetworks.com/Updates/DynamicUpdates/245 you will get all different versions to download, but not based on PA hardware.

Thanks

That is what I thought and was hoping to hear.

As I am looking through quotes for new boxes, I've noticed the cost for the services have also increased. If they are the same services and the same databases then why should the costs annual cost increase? The only argument I can think off currently is the throughput of the device, but should mean price increases on the hardware side, not the annual subscription fees.

I have been told the only way to currently improve performance of my box is to upgrade to a new one. If I upgrade, the services I am already paying for will increase.

L7 Applicator

Hello Sir,

As per my understanding, even though the database is same, but utilization will be higher. For example- more number of security profiles or custom signature etc. ( It's purely based on my own understanding )

I would suggest you to consult with your Palo Alto SE, he will be able to give you a better explanation for this.

Thanks

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!