Best Practice policy 7.1

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Best Practice policy 7.1

L2 Linker

I am attempting to implement best practice internet gateway in the 7.1 admin guide. One on the steps toward the end is creating Temporary tuning rules to see what applications are communicating over non-standard ports. I have rule above the tuning rules allowing for web-browsing and ssl over "application-default" I was surprised on the amount of traffic that was hitting these Temp rules. Having trouble understading logic. Why would browsing to applipedia.paloaltonetworks.com show as application "web-browsing" to port 443?

note:

We do have outbound SSL decryption on. See log attached.

Thanks for you time

web-browse log.PNG

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

There is a rule below all of my user rules that specifies access for certain people with just the service being defined as http/https. I will say that I did look through my logs yesterday and 99% of our web-browsing is all just the ssl,web-browsing rule. Only the technology service bureau here actually has access to anything that doens't fall under the ssl,web-browsing rule and it has never been an issue. However, we also don't decreypt any of the traffic for this facility so most applicaitons never get identified. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Could you post a screenshot of the rules that you have created for tunning. If you create a rule for SSL and Web-Browsing with applicaiton default ports then almost all common web-browsing is going to hit those rules and I would suspect that hardly any of the sites that you visit are using anything but 443 or 80.

As far as web-browsing sometimes coming across over 443 identified traffic I wouldn't be to concerned, I currently have four pages that match that criteria in an enviroment where we don't keep logs long. App-ID is not flawless by any means and while web-browsing is only supposed to be tcp/80 it can get caught up as tcp/443 sometimes.  

Thanks for the reply. I do have a rule (34) that is configured for web-browsing and ssl (general-browsing app group) above my tuning rules.

I guess implementing the the best practice outlined in the 7.1 guide would never be complete then. I mean if app id doest work correctly then how would you get rid of the tuning (catch all) rules. 

web-rule.PNG

I'm not really saying that App-ID doesn't work, but things sometimes get messed up depending on the website you are visiting and what not; I wouldn't say that you should really worry about it to much as the four pages of logs that I have are all going to one address that is an add network, so clearly if it started to get blocked I wouldn't care. 

What applicaitons are actually breaking when you take out the TUNING rules and just run with the Allow ssl and web-browsing rule? Nothing should really break because of it, generally the only time that I run into an issue is when some web-dev decides to use port 85 or some other random site on a production webserver. If you start running into a lot of issues try running a PCAP and see what is actually being sent, you shouldn't really be having any issues with the SSL and Web-Browsing app-ids even when you don't do any decryption. 

This is what my user rules look like; as you can see I am using ssl and web-browsing as the applicaiton with application-default as the service. I have yet to run into any issues except for a few crappy websites put out by small organizations that use weird ports. We do not recieve any issues with these users at all about not being able to access anything. Run without your TUNING rules and see what brakes, I'm guessing not much and you can create rules for the cases where you actually need access to those websites. Capture.PNG

Hello Experts

Just want to ask something silly, if user browse www.4shared.com and in policy I only allow SSL, Web-browsing application on application-default then it will work? Because if PA identify deeper applicaiton running on Web-browsing then it will be block as its not allow in policy? Please answer 4shared.PNG

If you allow SSL and Web-Browsing on the default ports then 4shared will be allowed since it only uses the default ports. 

Community Team Member

Hi,

That doesn't seem correct.

Allowing SSL and web-browsing using application defaults won't allow access to http://www.4shared.com.

The application will be identified as 4shared and will be denied by policy if you haven't allowed this application :

Session           22777

c2s flow:

source:      192.168.0.28 [lab-100]

dst:         199.101.134.234

proto:       6

sport:       61604           dport:      80

state:       INIT            type:       FLOW

src user:    unknown

dst user:    unknown

s2c flow:

source:      199.101.134.234 [untrust]

dst:         172.16.31.170

proto:       6

sport:       80              dport:      24526

state:       INIT            type:       FLOW

src user:    unknown

dst user:    unknown

start time                           : Tue Nov  8 21:55:22 2016

timeout                              : 90 sec

total byte count(c2s)                : 5242

total byte count(s2c)                : 66

layer7 packet count(c2s)             : 11

layer7 packet count(s2c)             : 1

vsys                                 : vsys1

application                          : 4shared 

rule                                 : interwebs-1

session to be logged at end          : True

session in session ager              : False

session updated by HA peer           : False

address/port translation             : source

nat-rule                             : NaT to interwebs(vsys1)

layer7 processing                    : completed

URL filtering enabled                : True

URL category                         : online-personal-storage

session via syn-cookies              : False

session terminated on host           : False

session traverses tunnel             : False

captive portal session               : False

ingress interface                    : ethernet1/2

egress interface                     : ethernet1/1

session QoS rule                     : N/A (class 4)

tracker stage firewall               : l7 proc

end-reason                           : policy-deny

Cheers,

-Kim.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

My appologize, kiwi is correct my logs hadn't updated when I ran a quick test of it 

@BPry then how come your internet browsing is working with allow only SSL/Web-browsing application, as you post the screen shot of your policies

There is a rule below all of my user rules that specifies access for certain people with just the service being defined as http/https. I will say that I did look through my logs yesterday and 99% of our web-browsing is all just the ssl,web-browsing rule. Only the technology service bureau here actually has access to anything that doens't fall under the ssl,web-browsing rule and it has never been an issue. However, we also don't decreypt any of the traffic for this facility so most applicaitons never get identified. 

I want simpler approach to policy mgmt. I am experimenting with just have one rule that allows all risk 1-4 apps. Above that I block all risk 5 apps. Then above that just have individual allow/block rules for stuff that needs "special" consideration ie smtp for allowed senders/svrs, dns to specific safe dns, blocking risk 1-4 apps that we have no use for etc.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 11 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!