Best config to speed up HA failover

L1 Bithead

Re: Best config to speed up HA failover

Thanks, i will try that in my next maintenance window.

Cheers

Tags (2)
Highlighted
L4 Transporter

Re: Best config to speed up HA failover

I'm going to concur with sec101 on this.  If your switch ports are not set to go straight into the forwarding state, you may have delays while STP goes through it's learning process.  15s sounds about right.  If you are using Cisco equipment, that's the default learning timer.  I'm not sure how this is affected by Passive Link State: auto, but you should probably have these ports in "portfast" mode (Cisco speak) or "edge" mode (Juniper speak) either way.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/spanning-tree-protocol/19120-122.html

forward delay—The forward delay is the time that is spent in the listening and learning state. This time is equal to 15 sec by default, but you can tune the time to be between 4 and 30 sec.

PS - Also agree with using "suspend" instead of just reboot for HA failover.  Upgrade the Passive node first thus reducing your failover to a single event as well.

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!