Bootstrap the VM-Series Firewall on ESXi

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Bootstrap the VM-Series Firewall on ESXi

L0 Member

I have an OVA of PA VM-100 series version 8.0.5.

I'm trying to follow the article for "Bootstrap the VM-Series Firewall on ESXi" at:

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/71/virtualization/virtualization/bootstrap-the-vm-ser...

and having some trouble.

When preparing the bootstap package it says to use a bootstrap.xml file if not using a Panorama, and to get that xml file by exporting from another PA. I dont have another firewall. I'm just learning. Where can I get a sample bootstrap.xml file?

For the folders "content" and "software" it shows a number of files such as Pam-OS_vm-7.1.1 and panup files. Where do I get these files. The article doesnt say.

I was able to create an init-cfg.txt file.

Then it says "Create an ISO image. The tool you use to create the image varies based on your client operating system."

So is PowerISO ok for creating the ISO?

thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@rmccarrick,

As for the bootstrap.xml file, this is simply the running-config.xml that you can generate from the firewall and modify if needed. Find additional information HERE

/content: These are the content packages that you want as the base images. Can be downloaded from the support folder. 

/software: Simply the software image that you want to utilize on the firewall. 

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!