Bug fix

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Bug fix

L4 Transporter

Do I have to go to 7.1.7 to fix this bug, since it is addressed as the fix for this bug or will a newer version fix it like 7.1.18 or 7.1.19 still fix it even if it is not listed in the list of fixes? You would think that the newer version more even if it not listed.pabug.PNG

10 REPLIES 10

L7 Applicator

Any time you see a bug fixed in a release, it will be fixed in all subsequent releases of the same branch. So in this case, the fix was in 7.1.7 so everything up to and including 7.1.19 (plus whatever comes next in 7.1) will also contain the fixes. 

@jdprovine,

Just to clarrify on @gwesson's last line; just because a bug was addressed in 7.1.19 does not necissarly mean it was addressed in 8.0.*. If the bug effected both code branches you could have to go to a patched version of 8.0 to get the same bug fix. 

@BPry @gwesson

So going to 7.1.18 or 7.1.19 won't necessarily address the bug I mentioned that was listed in what is fixed in 7.1.17. I was thinking the same way the gwesson was that subsequent releases would be buit on previous release and fix everything that 7.1.17 need and more

No that’s right, within the same code branch a bug fixed in 7.1.17 is still fixed in 7.1.18 and 7.1.19. I was just trying to point out a difference between code branches.
So essentially it would go like this; if a bug is patched in 7.1.17 then any subsequent maintenance release in 7.1 would still be patched for that bug. However, the bug could still exist within the 8.0 and 8.1 branch separately until it gets patched within their respective maintenance releases.
Hopefully that makes a bit more sense.

@BPry

Well the reason I ask is because I opened a support ticket and they told me my only choice was to install 7.1.17 or 8, that 7.1.18 or 7.1.19 would not fix the bug but they couldn't explain why.

I thought this was the case 

"So essentially it would go like this; if a bug is patched in 7.1.17 then any subsequent maintenance release in 7.1 would still be patched for that bug"

@jdprovine,

I can say with 99.8% certaintly that whoever you spoke with is wrong. That would essentially destroy PANs own documented upgrade process as you would have to install every single maintenance release to be fully patched for all known bugs. 

@BPry

That is not good news to hear that support is giving me inaccurate information, I would really like to go to 7.1.19

@BPry

Support wont' explain why only 7.1.17 will work to fix this bug

Sometimes (as with all software) there is a regression, where a different fix ends up breaking an unrelated issue. If that happened in 7.1.18 and the fix isn't coming out until 7.1.20 then it would make sense.

What issue ID (PAN-00000) are they saying is fixed in 7.1.17 but not in 7.1.18 or 7.1.19? If it's PAN-62447, then I think the typo in your initial post (it said 7.1.7, not 7.1.17) threw me off. If that is the issue ID, then it's definitely fixed in 7.1.17, 7.1.18, and 7.1.19. It's also fixed in every version of 8.0 and 8.1.

@gwesson @BPry

whew finally support understands and agrees that going to 7.1.19 will also fix the bug fixed by 7.1.17

• 10 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!