Cannot access PA-200 via Console

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Cannot access PA-200 via Console

L1 Bithead
Greetings all,  I have a PA-200, there it was previously configured and it was stored for long time, we wanted to reuse it, however, I cannot access it via console, when I connect to it nothing there in Putty just black screen. here is what I have: Console cable connected to USB-Serial( Iam sure the cable and adaptor works fine, I tested it with Cisco switch) PA Powered on fine. Power light is green. FAN light is green. TEMP light is green. STATUS light is green. HA & ALARM there is no lights. Any idea how I can access it ? I don't remember the configurations that was there nor any IP's to access GUI. is it possible that my PA has H.W fault ? specially the console port? is the only thing I can think of. Regards, 
1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

@mfkoko,

If the MGMT port is enabled and was left as default it would have 192.168.1.1 as it's IP address. If that doesn't work you could attempt to iniciate an IP scan to the MGMT port to see if you can determine what IP it's set to. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

When you have your console cable connected and you restart the box, do you see any indication that this device is trying to boot? Can you get into maintenance mode? 

Thanks for your replay, unfortunatly, No, I dont see any indications, its stays black. the only indications I see is phisically the green lights and the FAN. I cant really go to any mode nor do anything 

is there is aways to access it via the mgmt port ? whats the defualt IP ? is it CLI or GUI via mgmt? 

@mfkoko,

If the MGMT port is enabled and was left as default it would have 192.168.1.1 as it's IP address. If that doesn't work you could attempt to iniciate an IP scan to the MGMT port to see if you can determine what IP it's set to. 

Thanks, I guess we are progressing now, I connected the mgmt port to my laptop, both (laptop & PA) ports showing up (green light).

I assigned 192.168.1.10 to my laptop and disabled all other NIC's, tried to access the PA GUI via 192.168.1.1 but no luck its not even ping-able.  not sure how to do the scan though ?

Okay. I installed WireShark and got the IP. I just loggeed in to the PA GUI. Thanks a lot for your support. Just one more thing, can I troublshoot the Console port via the GUI ? any hints ?

I'm not sure how you you troubleshoot a console port issue with the GUI. You'll now be able to enable SSH access to the device to get CLI access however. 

Thanks a lot 🙂 at least I got into it and I can use it, the only issue I cant really deploy it into production if the Console port is faulty.

Make sure the firewall is not in FIPS/CC mode. Those modes disable the console connection entirely. CLI itself should work just fine (SSH to the management IP).

You can check the differences to see if that applies to your firewall:

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Management-Articles/Changes-that-Occur-if-FIPS-Mode-is-Enabled/...

• 1 accepted solution
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!