Captive Portal - Authentication Method

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Captive Portal - Authentication Method

Not applicable

Hi Palo Altorian,

In Captive Portal setup, does it work with Active Directory or Palo Alto Local User Database?

If yes, can anyone point to me where can i find this documentation? as i was not able to find on the technical documentation. Otherwise, it would be great if someone can shed some lights on doing this.

Thanking you in advance.

6 REPLIES 6

L5 Sessionator

Hello Eugene,

You'll need to use AD or Radius in conjunction with Captive Portal, not the Local User Databse.  There are two documents on the Support Portal that will provide configuration guidelines.

User Identification with PAN-OS 2.1

https://support.paloaltonetworks.com/index.php?option=com_pan&task=tech_docs&Itemid=141

and

How to Configure Captive Portal (without Active Directory)

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-1159

I

Dear All,

Does PAN-OS 3.1.4 support local authentication? I can find the way how to do the local authentication? Please help? Thanks!

Captive portal supports authentication via radius, ldap, or local db (this would be users configured on the paloalto device).

thanks,

Stephen

Hi,

Can the captive portal in PAN 3.1.4 os support Cisco tacacs? or any cisco radius server?

Though we supply step by step instructions for windows 2003 and 2008 this should not be interpreted as us only supporting these two iterations of Radius.

Generally speaking Radius is Radius. It might require some extra effort but the PAN should be able to support any industry standard Radius solution.

~Phil

Hi Phil,

thanks for your answer.

As I read in User-Identification-TN (a bit out of dated - 3/09):

"Captive Portal was designed to work with an Active Directory server through its RADIUS interface. If another RADIUS server is used, policy creation is possible, but will be challenging as there is no way to browse a list ofexisting users. In addition, the RADIUS interface does not make user group information available."

Could you write a document, just for istance, for FreeRadius and Captive Portal?

Thanks

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!