Captive Portal Customization and Device Detection

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Captive Portal Customization and Device Detection

Not applicable

I have been tasked with modifying our Captive Portal, from Palo Alto, that current users see when they connect to our guest Wi-Fi here at the Upper Canada District School Board. I have read most of the documentation related to the captive portal and what can generally be done with it.

Now, I have already managed to change the style of the portal to a certain degree, including linking to images for display on it and changes in color/font. We currently have a guest button that users use to get immediate access to the internet. This button submits the credentials form that is also on the page. We do not utilize the credentials from for anything else.

Here are my questions regarding the capability of modifying the captive portal design and function:

1) Is it at all possible to hide the credentials form on the page? I tried this with standard html and CSS code techniques and by doing so the captive portal form would not function afterwards.

2) Is it at all possible to include JavaScript on the page? What I would like to do is add some script that auto detects the mobile browser of the device connecting in and offer a link that targets that device. This would provide us a mechanism to allow users to enroll in our existing MDM solution.

3) Any other options exist for customizing the page or possibly redirecting to a separate URL?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. BTW…our environment is run on PA-5050’s with software version 4.1.9.

Dave

1 REPLY 1

L0 Member

We have a similar requirement with Captive portal. We deployed a PA-200 in a backpack hostel. When users connect to internet over Wifi connected to PA-200, we want the users to get a T&C page on which there will also be a field to enter email address. Once user clicks OK to T&C, users will continue internet browsing.

In the background, we will collect the email address information using iframe to an external database.

It would be ideal if we can re-direct the captive portal to a completely external website. 

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!