Captive Portal and Windows 7

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Captive Portal and Windows 7

L4 Transporter

We have captive portal setup in redirect mode. It's working fine for iPhones, iPads, Mac OS X, and Windows XP, but we are having problems with Windows 7 clients. They get a message that they need to authenticate before having Internet access, but when they go to a webpage I see the captive portal URL flash in the address bar, and then it goes back to the webpage and says the page cannot be displayed.

Is anyone else having problems with Windows 7/Internet Explorer 8 and captive portal?

I ran Wireshark and never saw the 302 redirect packet in the capture. The firewall log shows an incomplete session to the L3 interface for the Windows 7 client.

3 REPLIES 3

Not applicable

Where did you run the capture?  There's a bit of a disconnect - you likely could not have gotten the captive portal window unless the redirect was seen on the client.  From the capture, what do you see?

Tariq

The captive portal runs on the internal L3 interface. I open up Internet Explorer 8, go to google.com, and get a page cannot be displayed error. The capture only showed RST packets from the firewall.

L4 Transporter

The laptop was having some other odd problems. We're going to re-image the laptop. The captive portal would only display in Firefox.

I've read about some other odd problems with Windows 7 and captive portal from other vendors. I'm guessing it has something to do with Internet Explorer 8. Some people recommended using compatibility view, but I never got a chance to test it.

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!