Captive Portal for more than one security zone

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Captive Portal for more than one security zone

L4 Transporter

Hi

Few months ago I sucessfully configured CaptivePortal (in redirect mode) with SSL certyficate from StartSSL for one of my local network connected to PA200.

Now I need to do the same for another local network, but on PAN I can only make one CP configuration, with one SSL cert.

I have SSL cert for host cp1.mydomain.com. This dns entry pointing to 192.168.110.1 that is a gateway for network where I have CP.

Until now evertything is clear for me, but when I enable CP to another network (with 192.168.30.1 gateway) its working too - why?

My networks are in separate security zones without policy that could enable traffic beetwen this zones/network.

So I tryed to put cp1.mydomain.com to one of my public IP (not used at the moment) but reachable from PAN. I changed entry in DNS, but its broken CP because users cant get CP webpage because this public IP isnt reachable without authenticate.

My CP looks like:

2013-04-06_111801.png

and Security Policy:

2013-04-06_112009.png

and hear I'm not sure that this configuration is optimal and made according to best practices.

I'd like to block p2p traffic, let DNS and ping and let all authenticated users access to internet.

I forgot .. I have one samll issue with SSL cert. Evertytime I started browser (ie. IE7) I get warning that browser has't information about cert issuer. Similar problem is described

but I have cert from StartSSL. Where I can find IPs that I need to add to be reachable without CP policy?

I searched this community, read How to Configure Captive Portal.pdf but I cant find information about CP for two networks.

Please help me in such configuration.

With regards

Slawek

10 REPLIES 10

L4 Transporter

Hi

Noone has any sugegstion for me?

L4 Transporter

Does your interface allow https Response pages?

interface.PNG

interface-mgmt.PNG

Phil

yes, I have exactly the same config.

In my opinion cert warning is because web browser cant verify ssl cert  issuer. But how (or where) to find list of server that I need to exclude from CP roule - I don't know.

We use a cert issued by a public certificate authority.  Certificate revocation checks to local domains could be the issue? If you use a commercial cert then just watch the log traffic for the CRL  check and add that as an allowed destination.

I using public certificate too. I'm using free StartSSL certs.

I tryed to find such informations from logs but I havnt such connections in log from this particular zone to Untrust zone.

I catched interesting screen shoot:

2013-04-11_093908.png

As you can see, IE is trying to connect to 192.168.110.1 - this is because cp1.mydomain.com is pointing to it. This  computer has 192.168.3.38 IP at the moment, and is UNABLE to communicate to 192.168.110.1 (for security reason, 192.168.3.x must only have access to untrust or 192.168.3.1 because it's a getaway from PAN).

slv

The web browser may not have a root cert.  Check like this:

Capture-Root-Certs.JPG

The other issue may be the certification revocation check.

Capture-cert-revocation.JPG

Phil

Hitssec

I know that one way is to have root cert in local Cert store, but he second way is to give to browser information abaout intermidiate cert StartSSL™ Certificates & Public Key Infrastructure

Also IE uses windows cert store, but FF uses their own store so I prefer to make universal solution ("glue" cert with intermidiate cert).

I havent ability to put root cert into personal computer of my students.

On Windows IE6 complaining about ability to verify root cer, on the same computer FF 20.1 doesnt. Latest (but maybe not the last) FF on Linux complaining too.

The same complaining is from 192.168.3.x as from 192.168.110.x network

Slv,

Since I can't read the warning message you posted (I only read english - sorry) there are only three possible causes:

Wrong cert being used

Private cert - not being able to validate

Public cert - not being able to validate

Public certs should be able to be validated (may need to select optional updates via windows update to get the root certs on the client.  The outher option is to tell them to accept the cert warning.

Sorry if I can't help you more but I think you are on the right path.  You can always put a call into support and they can assist.

Phil

You where right, problem with this warning is connected to root cert. After updating root cert store with latest package IE doenst show warning message.

Lets back to main question.

- on which one IP I should setup Captive Portal, from which zone? I need to use CP for 3 zones.

- do my security policy are correct?

With regards

Slawek

You can apply Captive portal on any and all zones that you wish.  Captive config says go to the redirect host identified.

Capture.CP-Setup.PNG    

The Captive portal rules determine what traffic patterns will trigger a Captive portal redirection.  See the below image:

Capture.CP-Rules.PNG

I hope this helps.  Within the rule set you can exclude traffic patterns from being captive portal redirected.

Phil

• 10 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!