Captive portal and Android cookies: How are cookies stored that are delivered from captive portal?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Captive portal and Android cookies: How are cookies stored that are delivered from captive portal?

L4 Transporter

First, some background. We have captive portal configured and we have a "BYOD" wireless network. We have the cookie lifetime in Palo Alto set to one week.

For our Android users, it seems that once they get redirected to the captive portal and authenticate, if they get out of the web browser app and let their phone sleep, they lose the cookie that PA delivered. They have to reauthenticate basically, when we have deliberately tried to have their cookie last for a week.

I understand that on the backend Android device, cookie persistence seems to be in-memory, and there's a good discussion about it on Stack Overflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4082799/android-how-to-store-cookies

Does anyone know of any workarounds for this? It seems like some Android cookies I receive can persist and don't "live in memory" so to speak, because some sites I log into on my phone always remember who I am and my cookie persists no matter what I do (LinkedIn.com is an example)

2 REPLIES 2

L4 Transporter

Here's my session cookie persistence settings by the way:

Not applicable

Having the same problem. Looking for an answer.

• 2 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!