Catchall DNS and Redirect to host

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Catchall DNS and Redirect to host

L1 Bithead

My old firewall was able to catch all dns requests from a zone and redirect them to a defined server.  I cannot find a way to do that on the Palo Alto. Can it be done?

6 REPLIES 6

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Jimbo_NGC,

Are you talking about DNS Proxy? If yes then the firewall is perfectly able to do the same thing now. I've included a link HERE that will walk you through enabling the feature and getting it setup. 

Unfortunatly not, it is more like a proxy redirect where the firewall see port 53 traffic outbound from any to any and redirects the traffic to a host that then responds.   Saves a lot of time changing dns server entries in hundreds of static hosts as i migrate between firewalls or change designs.  Thank you for your reply.

What about doing a destination NAT policy ?

@Jimbo_NGC,

I would think that @khuynh's suggestion of a Destination NAT would probably work out alright. Personally I would look at using PBF to force the traffic to the destination that you prefer. 

The NAT solution from any to any on 53 would not save without errors. I will look a PBF to see if it is an option. This just may be a limitation in functionality.   

Thank you both for your efforts.

Jim

Putting it into other terms, I need to do a DNS sinkhole rule/nat that I can define myself on traffic between zones.

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!