Certificate import issues

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Certificate import issues

L3 Networker

I'm having terrible problems importing a trusted certificate into my PA.

I've followed the following guide - https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-3502

I can create the key ok

I can create the CSR ok

I then submit the CSR to Thawte which then gets authorised and released

If I then try and follow the last command from the URL link above (openssl pkcs12 -export -in my.cer -inkey my.key -out mycert.pfx) i get the error message 'unable to load certificates' and a pfx file is created with 0 bytes

If I then try and import the certificate and key into my PA using Base64 I get the error message 'Import of (cert) failed. Failed to extract certificate'

Please can someone shed some light on where i'm going wrong?

Thanks

Rod

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L3 Networker

Update. This problem has been resolved.

If you look at the X509 certificate image from Thawte that I've included above you will notice that the top box is labelled End Entity, the second box is labelled First Intermediate Certificate and the last box is labelled Second Intermediate Certificate.

Logic would tell you to copy the first, then second and then end certificates into notepad and then go and create your pfx file via openssl. This is where  my problems lied.

The correct way to do it is to copy end, first and finally second into notepad. Anyone using Thawte please be aware of this outrageous naming convention.

Rod

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

L6 Presenter

Verify how the file you got in return from Thawte looks like.

If im not mistaken you should include any intermediate ca-certs in there aswell so the contents of the file from Thawte should look something like (I dont exactly recall the text so this is more of an example) unless im confusing this with something else:

-----BEGIN PUBLIC CERT-----

base64stuff of CA-cert

-----END PUBLIC CERT-----

base64stuff of any intermediate CA-cert

base64stuff of Thawtes signing of your key

Which gives if there are more intermediate certs like Thawte Root -> Intermediate 1 -> Intermediate 2 -> Your cert the content should be:

base64stuff of CA-cert

base64stuff of any intermediate CA-cert 1

base64stuff of any intermediate CA-cert 2

HI mikand,

Thanks for the reply.

See attached. you get two options from Thawte. Option 1 is a PKCS #7 format that only contains one certificate. Then you get a X.509 option. This contains 3 certificates - End Entity, First Intermediate and second Intermediate.

From your post are you saying I should copy the 3 X.509 options and past them into notepad and save it as a .pem file? if this is try should I follow logic and import the order of the certificates from thawte into my notepad following the format - first, second and then end? or should i follow the top down approach as it's layed out in the image - end, first and second?

When I save it as a pem and import it into the PA do I then select the trusted root CA option? or do I leave all certificate options blank?

Thanks

Rod

thawte.png

Yes, I think X509 is the way to go.

And yes I was wrong about the order - it seems that it should be with the most specific cert first like so:

base64stuff of any intermediate CA-cert

base64stuff of CA-cert

have a better description of the intermediate problem.

Then on the client side im not sure if its sufficient to just import this as trusted CA (in the client browser):

or if you need to have the intermediates included in the same pem file.

L3 Networker

Did you convert the certificate file from .pfx to .pem?

The key and certificate can be imported separately.

L3 Networker

Update. This problem has been resolved.

If you look at the X509 certificate image from Thawte that I've included above you will notice that the top box is labelled End Entity, the second box is labelled First Intermediate Certificate and the last box is labelled Second Intermediate Certificate.

Logic would tell you to copy the first, then second and then end certificates into notepad and then go and create your pfx file via openssl. This is where  my problems lied.

The correct way to do it is to copy end, first and finally second into notepad. Anyone using Thawte please be aware of this outrageous naming convention.

Rod

• 1 accepted solution
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!