Change physical port in Active PAssive PA going to ISP

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Change physical port in Active PAssive PA going to ISP

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

PA is in Active Passive mode.

Current uplink connection from active PA going to ISP is 1Gig.

We need to change the uplink port on the active PA that can support 10gig.

What is best method to do this without causing least amount of outage?

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.
1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

That would depend on if you have any Link or path monitoring. If yes then I would disable them and move them at the same time. If not, then still move them at the same time but now you dont have to disable the link or path monitoring.

Regards,

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

There might be some disruption so I would do it in a maintenance window.

1. Plug new 10G into the PAN
  2. setup new interface and routing
  3. verify all traffic is now flowing over the 10G link,
  4. Remove the 1G link config and routes
  5. Remove the 1G link

Obviously an over simplified process. The biggest things that are susceptible to interruption are Video and Audio calls.

Regards,

Thanks for the reply

Should i suspend the passive PA and do the config there first and then do the commit on suspended PA?

After that suspend the active PA and make sure Passive PA with new config and port becomes active?

MP

Hello,

I would say you might be introducing more complexity. By suspending the passive all you are doing is suspending the HA. You would need to activate it prior to suspending the active otherwise both will be offline and not passive traffic. Plus once the passive reconnects to the active, it will sync configs. 

I would do it on the active in a maintenance window, you can always revert the config if something goes wrong.

Regards,

So how to do in active ?

Do i need to suspend it first?

Then passive will become active.

I can move the port to 10Gig and do all the changes on the suspended 

Then can i do the commit on the suspended?

then make this suspended functional again?

MP

Hello,

Sorry I misread the original question. I would still do it live however with a slight twist. Yes there will be a slight interruption when you move the cable and commit changes.

1. Setup the new interface and routing to be the new interface
    1. DO NOT COMMIT THE CHANGES
  2. Commit the changes and then move the physical cable to the new port at the same time.

Hope that helps.

Can you please explain in more detailed steps?

MP

Hello,

I'll do my best but without knowing you entire config its still going to be high level and you'll have to fill in the blanks.

1. Setup the 10G interface identical to the 1g interface except for any IP's
    1. commit the changes
  2. Remove the config from the 1g interface, add the ip's to the 10g interface, and change routing so it will go out the proper interface
    1. DO NOT COMMIT CHANGES
  3. Commit the changes and at the same time move the cable from the 1G interface to the 10G interface.

Hope that helps.

So i can do these changes on active and passive PA at same time?

MP

Hello,

Once you commit the changes on the active, the passive will get them as well. Its part of the beauty of HA. I also realized I didnt need one of the steps, so here is the revised version.

1. Setup the 10G interface identical to the 1g interface except for any IP's
    1. commit the changes
  2. Remove the config from the 1g interface, add the ip's to the 10g interface, and change routing so it will go out the proper interface.
  3. Commit the changes and at the same time move the cable from the 1G interface to the 10G interface.

Regards,

My bad i mean to say should i move cables from 1gig to 10gig connection on both active and passive at the same time?

MP

Hello,

That would depend on if you have any Link or path monitoring. If yes then I would disable them and move them at the same time. If not, then still move them at the same time but now you dont have to disable the link or path monitoring.

Regards,

Yes i have path monitoring.

Will follow the steps.

Many thanks again!

MP

• 1 accepted solution
  • 12 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!