Control android and other smartphones

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Control android and other smartphones

Not applicable

I managed to use the setup for blockin iphone/ipad trafic.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-1503

Some questions...

How do we do this for other smartphones?

And is it possible to control this with IP range for instance? Or other methods?

Thinking about allowing it on some locations and drop packets on other?

I have not been successful on this yet

Sincerely

1 REPLY 1

L4 Transporter

The iPhone/iPad custom signature is based on a pattern match.  It looks for the User-Agent header HTTP requests to contain the string that identifies it as an iPhone/iPad.  That header contains the value "iPad" so it's pretty easy to identify.  So to answer your question about how to do it for other smart phones, the answer is yes you can use this method, provided you know what the request headers look like.  If the request headers, such as the User-Agent header, has an identifiable value (something like say "Android"), then you can plug that in and use it.  I don't know what these might be for the various mobile devices, so you might have to do some research on this, or take some packet captures and view them for yourself.

If it helps you, I found this outside link showing a list of user agents for mobile devices:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_user_agents_for_mobile_phones

As far controlling by IP ranges, you can create a policy that has a source of the IP range that you desire, traffic type you desire (e.g., web-browsing) and apply your custom vulnerability profile with your custom signature to that policy.

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!