Controlling ActiveX traffic

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Controlling ActiveX traffic

Not applicable

It's possible to control ActiveX traffic? Of course this is not an application, but it would improve secuity on the PAN device. The same for other embedded objects (Java Applets,etc.) and embedded scripts (javascript,Visual Basic script,etc).

Any ideas about the future or wath we can already do ?

Thanks Boris

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, we can block activex via file blocking. The file type for activex is ocx.

Alfred

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

L4 Transporter

Boris,

I'm going to take a stab at this and say that if you set up a block .OCX files action in a File Blocking Profile on your PAN device you should be able to stop ActiveX Controls.  Here is what I found on-line about .OCX files.

An OCX is an Object Linking and Embedding (OLE) custom control, a special-purpose program that can be created for use by applications running on Microsoft's Windows systems.

Microsoft now calls an OCX an ActiveX control, the component object under Microsoft's set of ActiveX technologies, of which the fundamental concept is the Component Object Model (COM) and, in a network, the Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM).

Maybe someone at Palo Alto can add to this.

Thanks,
Jeff

I verified with Support on this one and they say that the PAN won't block ActiveX.  It can only be blocked through the browser settings.

Yes, we can block activex via file blocking. The file type for activex is ocx.

Alfred

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!