Current stable release for PAN-OS 8.1

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Current stable release for PAN-OS 8.1

L2 Linker

Hello,

I was hoping someone would be able to tell me what the current stable release for 8.1 is? I am planning to upgrade from 8.0 in the next couple of weeks. I see that 8.1.8-h5 has been available for over a month so was wanting to check if this or 8.1.7 is the recommeneded release?

13 REPLIES 13

Community Team Member

Hi @MichaelWrigh ,

Check out the following url for a list of recommended releases:

Support-PAN-OS-Software-Release-Guidance

As per this page the recommended version is still 8.1.8 ... the hotfix version is only recommended for the customers running into the specific bug related to this hotfix.

Cheers !

-Kiwi.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Thank you for the response, didnt realise Palo Alto had this web page for the stable releases is very handy.

I have another question regarding an issue i am runing into. When I run "check now" for the software, i am only seeing Wildfire packages for 8.1 and above rather than the PAN-OS, Panorama ones that I see on 8.0 so i cant at this time download Panorama 8.1. Has anyone else run into this issue.

Make sure you are looking in the right place.  Panorama has 2 different locations for PAN-OS Software.  The first is for Panorama itself and the other (highlighted below) is for pushing PAN-OS to your firewalls.  Wildfire updates and threat/antivirus/etc are under "Dynamic Updates".  This also is split between Panorama specific and FW specific just like "Software".  See below pic.  Does this make sense?

Capture.PNG

Thanks, i am looking in the right place in Panorama in the software tab.i have attached the below image, just checking the cli now to see if there is any difference. I have downloaded the files i need from palo alto support and uploaded them to Panorama successfully, however, they are still not visible in the GUI.

Capture.PNG

Just so you know, there is an artificial 5 image software limit.  This can be changed but the partition is only 24G.  A big annoyance if you ask me that needs to be addressed.

Thanks for the help and information Jermey.  I had a look from the CLI and was able to see the updates. You were right all along about me looking int he wrong place, I looked with fresh eyes this mornign and realised straight away that I was looking at software within device deployment instead of the one. Been able to download the updates without any problems.

I'm installing 8.1.8-h5 instead of installing 8.1.8-h5, is that correct ???

Fantastic!  That one has bit me before.  It's not very obvious, even more so the first time you look at it.

Ammar, I don't understand your question.  You said the same version both time?

i did the following during upgrade, 

8.0.10 -  8.0.18  - 8.1.0  - 8.1.8-h5 

is that correct or better to have 8.18 without the hotfix like :

8.0.10 -  8.0.18  - 8.1.0  - 8.1.8   -  8.1.8-h5 

which is the better path ?

8.1.8 is the current posted preferred release.  I have never had any issue with a Hotfix release.  It's really a judgment call by you.

Sorry I mis-read that.  Yes, you don't have to install 8.1.8 before 8.1.8-h5.  As long as you have the base image downloaded (ie - 8.1.0) you should be able to jump straight to any minor release without installing the base image.

8.0.10 -> 8.0.18 -> 8.1.8-h5 (but you must have the 8.1.0 downloaded)

You could also go straight from 8.0.10 -> 8.1.8-h5 the same way but I prefer to be running the current preferred of the running minor release (8.0.18 in this case) before any upgrade.

Community Team Member

@Ammar ,

If you are experiencing the bug for which h5 was created then it's recommended to install the hotfix. 

If you don't suffer from this bug then it's recommended to stay on 8.1.8

Cheers,

-Kiwi.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.
  • 13 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!