(DUP!) when pinging from the firewall

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

(DUP!) when pinging from the firewall

L2 Linker

Hi guys,

Strange issue here which I'm hopeing to get resolved.  I was SSH'ed into the our PA VM-100 today and happened to run the command >ping host 8.8.8.8.  This resulted in 100% (DUP!) replies on the ICMP replies.  However, when I specify the source and host I dont get this issue.

Any ideas why this could be happening?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

ping host 8.8.8.8 - ping requests are sent from mgmt interface on mgmt plane

ping source x.x.x.x host 8.8.8.8 - ping requests are sent from interface on dataplane (x.x.x.x is L3 interface IP)

What exactly happened? Duplicates?

You should review your switching infrastructure.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

Interesting,

Something (ping request or reply) somewhere gets duplicated. What is happening if you are pinging cisco.com website (hehe bad example)? Do you get the same result? Run a PCAP from mgmt interface on Palo (at least will give you some visibility) to see if you are getting 2 responses back etc.

L3 Networker

We had this happen a while back on one of our firewalls while we were setting it up.  If I remember correctly we didn't have the gateway on the management interface configured (or maybe configured properly).

Type:

> configure

# show deviceconfig system

You should see this line in the configuration:

default-gateway 10.10.10.10; (example IP)

Brian

I am not sure if you can send any traffic outside your local network without or with an incorrectly configured gateway. 

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!