Decrypting Dropbox

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Decrypting Dropbox

L3 Networker

Hi,

I want to decrypt Dropbox but it doesn't work. I have a catch-all decrypt policy that decrypts any-any SSL. It works fine except for Dropbox. My understanding is that Dropbox is on the PanOS internal exception list so decryption is supposed to be disabled automatically for DB. Looking at my traffic logs, I can confirm that application dropbox is not decrypted. However, my Dropbox client still reports it's unable to establish a secure connection.

Is there anything I need to do to make it work?

Thanks

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L3 Networker

Hi

this is because it's not on the default exclusion list anymore.

Search the forum for "dropbox" and you get numerous resources and explanations, but the short way to get the client running again is to do the following on the CLI:

set shared ssl-decrypt ssl-exclude-cert "*.dropbox.com"

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

L3 Networker

Hi

this is because it's not on the default exclusion list anymore.

Search the forum for "dropbox" and you get numerous resources and explanations, but the short way to get the client running again is to do the following on the CLI:

set shared ssl-decrypt ssl-exclude-cert "*.dropbox.com"

Thanks Andre!

Happy to help.

If it works for your, just mark your question as "answered"

Andre

Also note that when you add dropbox to exclude list the PA will not be able to perform IPS/AV/DLP on the contents of the dropbox traffic.

I figured that one Smiley Happy

L3 Networker

Now this is strange. With the config in place it worked, and now it stopped working. Dropbox client reporting the same error as before, while *.dropbox.com is in the ssl-decrypt exlude list. Are there other domains that should be on the exclude list for Dropbox?

Thanks

Sascha

Two minutes later it's working again. Huh???

How is your device configuration regarding CRL and OSCP checks etc?

thanks

L3 Networker

I have set this: set shared ssl-decrypt ssl-exclude-cert "*.dropbox.com" on our firewalls; however, the dropbox application is still complaining that it "Can't establish secure connection" once in a while; it shows the error, then a few minutes later, it connects and sync.

Sascha,

Are you still having issues with Dropbox? I am having the exact same issue, after I excluded *.dropbox.com from decryption. Also, I noticed that while doing a packet capture that the connection breaks when client tries to get to Amazon, where the actual file are stored. I am just wondering if you were able to make it work and would share the information.

Thank you

L0 Member

Is it possible to rename the title to "How to not decrypt dropbox" ?

Because the so-called solution does not decrypt dropbox at all, it just excludes it from decryption.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 12 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!