Determining failed administrator interface logons from syslog

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Determining failed administrator interface logons from syslog

L0 Member
Hello!

I'm running into an issue. I would like to record failed logons to the administrator interface via syslog but the log format and contents of the logs appear to be exactly the same as those when a user performs a failed login to GlobalProtect Client VPN. Therefore I am getting a bunch of false positives.

Has anyone had any luck with this?

1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Jimkoo,

They should look slightly different depending on how you auth your admins. Part of the syslog message should show which auth profile was used in the 'auth-success' event, which you could utilize to filter out your GP logins from your admin logins. If you are using local auth for everything then I believe you're right and everything will look exactly the same. 

Another thing to look at is not monitoring the auth events. A general event will actually get taked that reads similar to "User bpry logged in via CLI from 10.191.16.61" which would let you know how the admin logged in and who it was. 

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!