Disabling Graceful restart for OSPF

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

Disabling Graceful restart for OSPF

L3 Networker

Hi team,

When performing a failover in our office we completely lose connectivity in or out. When troubleshooting we noticed we could not see the OSPF peer on the router or firewall. Looking through the system logs I notice:
routed-OSPF-stopped-graceful-restart description: OSPF stopped graceful restart. Protocol: OSPFv2. Exit reason: time out

the router ospf settings are:
router ospf 64800
router-id 1.1.1.1
redistribute static subnets
redistribute bgp 64800.2007 subnets route-map rm-default-rfc1918-net
passive-interface default
no passive-interface GigabitEthernet0/0/2.101
no passive-interface GigabitEthernet0/0/2.102
network 10.24.255.244 0.0.0.0 area 0
network 10.24.255.252 0.0.0.0 area 0
default-information originate
distribute-list prefix pfx-filter-from-Palo in GigabitEthernet0/0/2.101
distribute-list prefix pfx-filter-from-Palo in GigabitEthernet0/0/2.102

I wanted to ask about graceful restart. This is set on the firewalls. With this is it a case of waiting for the routes to time out before they move across?

If we unchecked the boxes, will it cause any issues? will failover be instant?

Thanks & regards

Sahithyan S

Thanks & Regards,
Sahithyan S
1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

BFD can really help with floating static routes but I probably wouldn't use if in conjunction with OSPF.  I think I see what's happening here.  Do you have HA Passive Link State set to Auto?  This keeps the passive member's physical interface up.  Setting this to "Disabled" may be causing your issue.  Also, if you are using LACP you will need to enable "LACP Pre-Negotiation" to accomplish the same thing for bonded ethernet links.

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000Cm5ZCAS

Set the Passive link state to "Auto". Auto setting will bring the interfaces on the passive firewall to UP physical state, the interface will not pass any data traffic.  This facilitates faster failover times.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Graceful restart allows a routing device undergoing a restart to inform its adjacent neighbors and peers of its condition. During a graceful restart, the restarting device and its neighbors continue forwarding packets without disrupting network performance. Because neighboring devices assist in the restart (these neighbors are called helper routers), the restarting device can quickly resume full operation without recalculating algorithms.

When a device enabled for OSPF graceful restart restarts, it retains routes learned before the restart in its forwarding table. The device does not allow new OSPF link-state advertisements (LSAs) to update the routing table. This device continues to forward traffic to other OSPF neighbors (or helper routers), and sends only a limited number of LSAs during the restart period. To reestablish OSPF adjacencies with neighbors, the restarting device must send a grace LSA to all neighbors. In response, the helper routers enter helper mode (the ability to assist a neighboring device attempting a graceful restart) and send an acknowledgment back to the restarting device. If there are no topology changes, the helper routers continue to advertise LSAs as if the restarting device had remained in continuous OSPF operation.

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions

Is this Active/Active or Active/Passive.  Big difference in operation when using dynamic routing protocols.

Thanks for the reply.

It is Active/Passive.

Thanks & Regards,
Sahithyan S

Thanks for the knowledge sharing.

Fast failover can be achieved using a Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD). Am i Right ?

Thanks & Regards,
Sahithyan S

BFD can really help with floating static routes but I probably wouldn't use if in conjunction with OSPF.  I think I see what's happening here.  Do you have HA Passive Link State set to Auto?  This keeps the passive member's physical interface up.  Setting this to "Disabled" may be causing your issue.  Also, if you are using LACP you will need to enable "LACP Pre-Negotiation" to accomplish the same thing for bonded ethernet links.

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000Cm5ZCAS

Set the Passive link state to "Auto". Auto setting will bring the interfaces on the passive firewall to UP physical state, the interface will not pass any data traffic.  This facilitates faster failover times.

Thank you for the knowledge sharing.

Thanks & Regards,
Sahithyan S

Did this solve the problem Sahithyan?

Yes, It Did. !  🙂

Thanks & Regards,
Sahithyan S

Fantastic!  Glad to help.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!