Disk space again

L4 Transporter

Disk space again

I have gone back and forth on disk space with tac and with the live community. I had tac clean up the log files before and that didn't gain me much. I am trying to prepare for an upgrade to OS 8.x this summer and I want to make sure I do not run out of diskspace and also not break anything trying to do some clean up

I guess I want to know if these need to be cleaned up and verify what they are

/dev/md6 3.8G 3.2G 454M 88% /opt/panrepo - PAN-OS Image repository (are these files that are located device]software)? Do the old OS's need to be deleted? I asked tac once before and they said no and then I asked at another date and they said yes - so I am confused.

/dev/md5 7.6G 3.3G 4.0G 46% /opt/pancfg - PAn-OS configuration is this the device config files and do they affect

L7 Applicator

Re: Disk space again

@jdprovine,

As a rule of thumb, old OS files should be deleted if you are worried about disk space. Seeing as a maintenance release can be anywhere from high 200-300 MBs leaving these on the disk takes a lot of space. Generally if working on a larger than 3000-series device I only recommend keeping one version down from what you were running. So for example if you are currently running 8.0.7 and your last version was 8.0.4, these should be the only two versions currently installed on the box. 

The pancfg repository is every version of the config file that you keep, out of the box I believe this is set to 100 different versions along with any saved configurations. As your configuration grows in size this will continue to grow the more commits are performed, as it keeps at least a 100 different configuration files back. Consider deleting unneeded saved configuration files, and consider setting the number of versions kept for configuration audits lower if you don't see yourself using this feature often. Generally I'll only keep 25-50 different config versions simply because I don't find myself going back further than that. 

L4 Transporter

@BPry

You should work for PA you are way better than the help I get when I put in a ticket, over the years I think tac has really gone down hill.

7.1.3.PNGThis is what I have currently in the software respository . So I can delete everything but 7.1.13 and free ups space in the  /dev/md6 3.8G 3.2G 454M 88% /opt/panrepo - PAN-OS Image repository?

L7 Applicator

@jdprovine,

Correct. You can delete everything besides 7.1.13 without any issues. 

L4 Transporter

@BPry

And that would free up space in this partition /dev/md6 3.8G 3.2G 454M 88% /opt/panrepo - PAN-OS Image repository

L7 Applicator

@jdprovine,

Correct this woud fre up space within /opt/panrepo

L4 Transporter

@BPry

Thanks !!!! you are awesome

L7 Applicator

I think you might want to keep the base code 7.1.0 as well.

L7 Applicator

@OtakarKlier,

It's already been exploded and written to disk, you really don't need it anymore. 

Capture.PNG

L4 Transporter

@OtakarKlier @BPry

I have already removed 7.1 base image, but I don't know if that means I can no longer roll back

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!