Does Global Protect check connection quality and switch portals if needed?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Does Global Protect check connection quality and switch portals if needed?

L0 Member

Is it possible to make Global Protect check someone's connection quality and if the quality is better to another portal, then switch to that one seamlessly? 

Say we have users connected to a portal in Los Angeles and the connection becomes less than acceptable, is it possible to make the GP client automatically connect to our NY portal if it has a better quality of connection? 

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

I'm not sure that you can actually set something like that; as long as the GlobalProtect connection is 'good enough' to actually connect you will connect to whatever gateway the clients have configured as 'highest' priority. If it can't form a connection to that gateway then it will switch to the next 'high' priority gateway and so on. 

That being said I don't deal that often with GP since most of our sites are still utilizing AnyConnect for their VPN needs, so this may be an option that I've just never ran into. 

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Yes you can if you have multiple portals setup at different locations. Then GP will send an SSL ping to each one to see which one is better and use it.

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/71/globalprotect/globalprotect-admin-guide/globalprot...

Cheers!

I didn't realize that it pings the gateways in addition to the priority setting, good to know thanks for the info @OtakarKlier

• 3 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!